The flag of North Carolina was adopted by the state legislature in March of 1885 to replace the previous flag adopted in June of 1861. The flag of 1861 was adopted because of the state’s secession from the Union on May 20, 1861. The current flag, bears the dates of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, May 20, 1775, and the Halifax Resolves, April 12, 1776, both documents are said to place North Carolina at the forefront of the American independence movement. Both of these dates also appear on the Great Seal of North Carolina.
The flag design of North Carolina consists of a blue union which has a white star in the center and the letter N in the gilt of the left side and the letter C in the gilt of the right side of the star. The fly portion of the flag consists of two equally proportioned bars; the upper bar is red and the lower bar is white.
Above the star in the center of the union there is a gilt scroll in a semi-circular form inscribed in black letters with May 20th, 1775, and below the star a similar scroll is present containing black letters inscribing April 12th, 1776.
North Carolina flag etiquette requires the flag to be flown on public buildings and institutions as well as at county courthouses in every courtroom. The flag is to be brought down in cases of inclement weather and it can be flown at half-mast upon the death of any State officer or any prominent citizen.